Moving into a skilled nursing facility can be a daunting task, not only for the person moving, but also for their loved ones. Over the years, people tend to accumulate a lot of stuff, especially if they have lived in the same home for most of their adult lives. This can make the moving process more stressful and expensive, and many belongings may need to be left behind. Having an estate sale can help facilitate a move to a nursing home both financially and emotionally.
Benefits of Estate Sales
Generally, when we hear the term “estate sale”, we associate it with the death of a loved one, but this is not always the case. Technically, estate sales include moving sales, whether the reason is to downsize, move in with family, or move into a nursing home. Having an estate sale can help senior citizens in many ways, some of which are discussed below:
- Funding skilled nursing care: Skilled nursing facilities can be costly, so any paying for it is welcome. Since seniors won’t likely be able to take everything they own to a nursing home, selling it can put it to good use paying the bills rather than leaving it to collect dust. In addition, liquidating assets can make it easier to qualify for need-based government aid such as Medicaid.
- Professional support: As opposed to less formal events like garage sales, estate sales are usually carried out by a company of professionals. This removes much of the stress of moving while maximizing returns. Since good estate sale companies tend to have strong followings, they can make it much easier to sell various collector’s items for high profit. They will also manage the logistics of the sale, such as security, cleanup, appraisal, and advertising.
- Higher return: Some might consider putting their belongings into storage or just letting them sit until the will can distribute them out. This might not be wise, since items tend to depreciate over time. Auctioning them at an estate sale will be much more cost-effective than putting them in storage.
- Simplified will: Just as daunting as moving is the task of writing a will. The more possessions or assets one has, the more harrying the will-writing process is likely to be. Holding an estate sale will help to simplify this process by eliminating many items entirely.
- Emotional transition: Moving from a family home has its own emotional burdens, but that process can be made much easier with an estate sale. It is a very liberating way to let go of the old and start a new stage of life without any former burdens.
Whether the primary concerns are monetary, logistical, or emotional, an estate sale can be beneficial for those moving into an assisted living facility or nursing home. At Senior Care Centers, our residents’ well-being and peace of mind are the foremost of our concerns, and we can provide information on the best way to transition from a home to a skilled nursing facility. For more information, contact us.